Three nights ago I went for another sleep study, required to diagnose sleep apnea and required if I want my insurance company to pay for the treatment. This study consisted of my being wired in about 20 different ways, then trying to sleep.
Unlike prior times, this study revealed that I do now have sleep apnea. That resulted in my being fitted yesterday with a BiPAP (similar to a CPAP) machine and, temporarily, supplemental oxygen.
Last night was my first night. I didn't have too much trouble with the mask and with the air pressure every time I breathed, except for the fact that I couldn't scratch where it itched.
I had been looking forward to what people have described as the best night's sleep ever. Unfortunately, it is going to take me some time to adjust, I'm afraid, because today I am tired, irritable and stressed (I have a couple of tics I can't calm down).
I of course don't know if the BiPAP solved the main problem, which is that I stop breathing in the middle of the night, but the secondary problem, that of low blood oxygen saturation, seems to have been alleviated; I woke in the middle of the night and checked it and it was well into the 90% range. When I had the sleep study, once I got into bed and headed toward sleep it dropped to 84%, not a good level.